The ELAN Mentorship Program is designed to assist artists make good creative and business decisions. Over a six-month period, established artist mentors will support, guide and encourage emerging artists who have demonstrated a commitment to their practice. Participating artists work toward achieving specific goals established at the start of the mentoring relationship. This is currently a volunteer-based program that aims to create a mutually supportive community of artists that exchange valuable knowledge and critical feedback.
• Have access to an abundance of experience from an established artist in your discipline
• Receive information and advice about career and creative development opportunities
• Obtain advice to help make wise creative and career choices
• Contribute to the next generation of artists by imparting knowledge and experience and helping to develop skills
• Have an opportunity to give back to the community
• Benefit from new ideas, perspectives, and insights from mentees
The program is open to ELAN members who are professional artists or administrators of organisations (as mentors) and emerging/mid career artists and arts presenters/administrators (as mentees). We are always seeking applications from established artists who would like to be mentors and emerging artists who would like to be mentored.
Once you apply, your name and information go into a bank for potential matches. Matches for 6-month mentoring relationships are made twice a year: in the Fall and Spring. If a suitable match cannot be found for an applicant, the applicant’s name goes into a bank of potential participants, and is considered for the next round.
The next round of Mentor/Mentee matches will be made in October 2010.
• To engage in a mentoring relationship for a minimum of six (6) months
• To meet with your mentor/mentee at least once a month
• To complete a final evaluation process that documents what was gained from the exchange and what was accomplished
• To be open to participating in an ongoing sharing/online forum
• To provide an exchange of information, resources and support for the artists.
• To encourage the development of professional skills, decision-making philosophies, self-reliance and resourcefulness.
• To enhance the artistic experience of the artists by exposing them to new ideas and techniques.
• To encourage positive relationships within the English language arts community of Montreal.
• To make good use of the mentor's time and expertise without abusing it.
• be an active ELAN professional or student member
• Complete and submit ELAN’s application form
• Submit an arts CV and short samples of work online or on cd/dvd/paper
Application Requirements for Mentors:
• Complete ELAN’s mentor application form
• Be established for at least 10 years and have a successful arts practice or be a not for profit arts festival, artist run center, gallery or organisation
• Demonstrate a commitment to being a volunteer mentor for the full six-month program
Please email applications to:
with the subject line “Submission Mentorship”.
Or mail to:
Mentorship Program Application
English Language Arts Network
460 St-Catherine West, Suite 610
Montreal, QC, H3B 1A7
ELAN © 2013 | undoLogic