The Canada Council for the Arts is on the brink of implementing its New Funding Model, and wants to make sure you have the information you need to make the leap.
First, take a look at the Council’s website, where you will get a sense of the new programs and processes.
Then, if you still have questions about the New Funding Model, send them our way. ELAN’s Board of Directors will be meeting with Simon Brault, CEO of Canada Council, on March 24. We will submit your questions directly to Mr. Brault. Answers will be compiled into a summary and posted on our website (we’ll send you a link).
Submit your questions by March 20 by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org!
Due to the lack of representation of the arts and culture sector at the Rendez-vous national de la main-d’oeuvre (National workforce meeting) last week, a group of 50+ arts and culture organizations have come together to launch La culture, le cœur du Québec – Pour des carrières durables. The campaign aims to alert the government to the realities of self-employment in the arts and culture sector, as well as the challenges involved in sector training and development.
The group has two main goals: (1) to include a human resources section into the next cultural policy that describes the realities of the sector and integrates solutions that meet the specific needs of the sector in terms of hiring, professional development and versatility, and professional transitions; (2) to implement a governmental action plan led by the Minister of Employment and Social Solidarity of Québec in order to have a united vision among various ministries and organizations concerned with workforce issues in the cultural sector.
Learn more (FR Only):
La culture s’invite au Rendez-vous national sur la main-d’oeuvre, Le Devoir
Les travailleurs culturels parlent de main-d’oeuvre, Le Soleil
Rendez-vous sur la main-d’oeuvre : la communauté artistique veut être entendue, Radio-Canada
- ELAN is hiring a Communications Assistant! Apply ASAP.
- Concordia University’s Fine Arts Department is hiring several limited term teaching appointments in Intermedia, Painting, Drama Therapy, Music Therapy, Design for Theatre and Art History. Apply by MARCH 6.
- The Canadian Centre for Architecture is hiring an Associate Director, Development. Apply by MARCH 6.
- CITim is hiring a conversational English teacher. Apply by MARCH 8.
- Voice of English Speaking Québec is hiring a Project Coordinator. Apply by MARCH 13.
- Theatre Wakefield is looking for one or two enthusiastic Summer Students with a strong theatre background to assist with their Summer Theatre Camp in July and August 2017. Submit your application with details on your background ASAP to email@example.com.
- TOHU is seeking a Communications Agent for the Montreal Complètement Cirque Festival. Apply by MARCH 6.
- The Montreal Museum of Contemporary Art is looking for Leonard Cohen fans to participate in an artistic video installation tribute to the songwriter. Get in touch ASAP.
- Theatre Wakefield is seeking performing arts submissions for the Festival Ta Da! 2017. Submit by MARCH 15.
- Third Space Gallery is inviting artists to submit short or long-term proposals for their 2018 programming season. Submit by MARCH 15.
- Submit to the 2017 Burtynsky Grant, supporting Canadian artists in the creation of a photobook. Apply by MAY 15.
- The Seasons of the Mountain photography exhibit is seeking submissions to help celebrate “The month of the Mountain” in the unique Mount Royal Funeral Complex. E-mail Andrew Sarrasin before MAY 15 to submit!
- Submit to the First People’s Festival‘s Indigenous Film & Video Showcase by MARCH 17.
- Funambuls Médias is seeking documentary short submissions for the 8th edition of Cinéma sous les étoiles. Submit by APRIL 2.
- Black Theatre Workshop is accepting applications for the 2017/2018 Artist Mentorship Program. Apply by MAY 26.
- The Journal of Compressed Creative Arts from Matter Press is seeking micro fiction, flash fiction, prose poetry, compressed poetry & visual arts. Submit by MARCH 15.
- The Puritan magazine is seeking short fiction, nonfiction and poetry. Submit by MARCH 25.
- Vallum is now accepting original and previously unpublished chapbook submissions for the 2017 Vallum Chapbook Award. Submit by MARCH 31.
- The Toronto International Electroacoustic Symposium is accepting proposals for papers, lecture-recitals, panels, compositions and performances until MARCH 3.
- The Ontraio Music Educators’ Association and Canadian Music Industry Education Committe invite music educators, music education researchers and graduate students in music and arts education to submit a proposal to present a Research Poster Presentation at the Interlude 2017 Conference. Submit by JUNE 1.
Conseil des arts et des lettres du Québec (CALQ)
Funding for individuals:
- Quebec City Territorial Partnership – Mobility – March 17
- Various Studio and Studio Apartment Residencies – April 1
- Call for projects in partnership with Télé-Québec: Creation of original digital content for La Fabrique culturelle – April 18
- Arts and Literature in the Outaouais Region – Territorial partnership: Support for professional artists and writers – May 5
- Acquisition and Marketing – Rolling
- Commissioned Works – Rolling
- Literary shows or storytelling and hypermedia literary works – Rolling
- Professional Development – Rolling
- Promotion – Rolling
- Research & Creation – Rolling
- Travel – Rolling
Funding for arts organizations:
- Specific Programming Support (Description in FR only) – Rolling
Conseil des arts de Montréal (CAM)
- Currently no deadlines.
SODEC (Info in FR only)
SODEC provides funding primarly to organizations. Please check your discipline for specific deadlines.
Canada Council for the Arts
Canada Council does not have upcoming deadlines until the spring, but now would be a good time to register for their new online application portal! All applicants, new and prior, must register at least 30 days before applying for a grant under the new system.
- YES Montreal provides free group coaching for artists, each with a different theme: MARCH 9 (Goal Setting & Time Management) and MARCH 23 (Social Media).
- Eastern Bloc presents a two day workshop on Programming Artificial Behaviors as Art and Craft on MARCH 11 & 12.
- Sign-up for YES Montreal’s free arts orientation session, Jump Start Your Art & Financing Options, taking place on MARCH 13.
- Eastern Bloc presents Your First GMO, a workshop where participants were create their first genetically modified organism on MARCH 18.
- YES Montreal presents Perfect Pitch: Professional Sales Coaching for Your Business on MARCH 21.
- YES Montreal presents Income Tax Basics for Artists on MARCH 22.
- YES Montreal presents Storytelling and Body Language, a workshop on non-verbal communication in business, on MARCH 28.
- Sign up for Studio 303’s Acogny Technique Masterclass with Alesandra Seutin on MARCH 1.
- Apply to participate in the Exploring Micro Performance Master Class with Sherry Yoon at Playwrights’ Workshop Montreal. Workshop from MARCH 20-24, Application Deadline, MARCH 10.
- The Pointe-Saint-Charles Art School is giving a Perspective Workshop on MARCH 12.
- Spring art classes start on MARCH 12 at the Pointe-Saint-Charles Art School including Painting, Drawing, Sculpture and more. Register ASAP!
- The Pointe-Saint-Charles Art School presents a Mandala Workshop with Catherine Wells, art therapist on MARCH 19.
- Sign-up for painting workshops in Hudson with Kathleen Conover, AUGUST 28-31. E-mail Kathleen directly for more information.
- Studio XX presents Introduction to DJing with DJ Ipek on MARCH 7. Register ASAP.
- Registration is now open for Robyn Sarah’s workshop, “Drawing from Life: Memoir and Personal Essay”. The workshop will happen every Wendesday from 6-8pm between MARCH 8 – MAY 3, at the Quebec Writers’ Federation.
Does a sustainable artistic practise mean throwing down roots, building community, and staying put? Or does it mean striking out and finding opportunity in other places? How can artists working in English balance the importance of community with the linguistic realities of Montreal?
Join ELAN and Art Matters for a free panel discussion:
Thursday February 16th, 6-8pm
EV 6.720, Concordia University
1515 Rue Sainte-Catherine O
To RSVP, click ‘going’ in the Facebook Event
- ACE Artists
- ACE Initiative
- ACE Initiative
- Activating your ELAN Membership Account
- Artists Illuminated
- Artists Illuminated: Guidelines
- Arts Alive! Québec
- Calls for Submissions
- Career Labs
- Career Labs Artist Bios
- Communications Committee Role & Mandate
- Contact SAVVY Sessions
- Contact Us
- Contact Us
- Deals & Discounts
- ELAN’s ACE Initiative – DESIGN! TEST! SCALE! Wrap Up
- Enhancing Your Profile
- Grant Deadlines
- Inclusion Committee Purpose, Mandate, & Functioning
- Job Opportunities
- Join Now!
- Le Sommet des arts
- Mission and Mandate
- Partners and Funders
- Past Projects
- Press Releases
- REPORT: Digital Solutions – Connecting Artistic Producers with Cultural Consumers
- Resources and Slides from Past Workshops
- Savvy Sessions Workshop Leader Bios
- State of the Arts
- Thank you for joining ELAN
- The Savvy Sessions for Performing Artists
- Tutorial & Accessibility Guide
- Visiting Curators
- Writing Your Bio
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016