The English-Language Arts Network (ELAN) seeks a Communications Assistant
Length: 16 weeks May 9– Sept 2, 2021
Language(s) of work: Excellent oral and written English and basic (working knowledge of) oral and written French
Location: Montreal, Quebec
ELAN (English Language Arts Network) is a non-profit organization devoted to helping Quebec’s English-language artists connect with one another, with their francophone colleagues, and with audiences in Quebec, Canada, and internationally. Our members include artists and organizations representing many artistic disciplines and regions of Quebec. ELAN encourages an evolving Quebec identity that celebrates social, cultural, and artistic diversity.
Working under the supervision of the Communications Coordinator, with the oversite of the Director of Operations, the Communications Assistant will train and gain experience by assisting the Communication Coordinator carry out day-to-day tasks involved in meeting ELAN’s communication needs. This includes communication strategies relating to our Annual General Meeting, monthly newsletters, website maintenance, and promotion of services and initiatives for Quebec’s Official Language Minority Community (OLMC) on ELAN’s digital communications platforms and social media channels.
Description of Tasks:
Assisting with all ELAN’s ongoing communication needs (newsletter, social media)
Assisting with membership communications through the renewal of all membership related documentation.
Ensuring that ELAN’s soon to be overhauled website is in compliance with ELAN’s Inclusion Plan, and working with our Inclusion Committee to ensure that ELAN’s web site is as inclusive and diverse as our membership.
Build and implement a targeted promotional social media campaign for our Annual General Media.
Prepare a final report detailing summer activities, and including recommendations for future development.
- Candidate should be pursuing a post-secondary university, CEGEP or college degree in arts and cultural management, arts administration, general or fine arts, communications, social sciences, marketing, or business.
- Strong spoken and written English, and a working knowledge of French
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and teamwork skills
- Good organizational skills e.g. task prioritization, attention to detail in written work
- Resourceful, with creative problem-solving skills, and the capacity to work autonomously
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office suite (Excel, Word) and email
- Knowledge of Mailchimp, WordPress, and social media
- Knowledge of or proven interest in arts and culture
- Experience or deep understanding of challenges facing artists who experience marginalization
- Experience developing digital content or blogging.
This position is funded by the Government of Canada through Young Canada Works (YCW) in Both Official Languages. You must meet program criteria to be eligible for this position.
You are eligible if you:
- are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada (non-Canadians holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible);
- are legally entitled to work in Canada;
- will be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
- are willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment;
- will not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) during the YCW work assignment;
- have been a full-time high school, college, CEGEP or university student (as defined by their educational institution) in the Winter 2021 semester;
- intend to return to full-time studies in the Fall 2022 semester;
ELAN encourages candidates to highlight additional qualifications, including non-traditional skills and experience.
How to Apply
DEADLINE: Applications will be reviewed on April 25, 2022 but the call will remain open until a candidate is selected.. Interviews will take place April 28th& 29th.
Please email the following materials to Deborah Forde (Director of Operations) at email@example.com:
- CV/Resume in Word or PDF format
- Cover letter in Word or PDF format
o In your cover letter, please detail your interest in the position, and highlight your qualifications as they relate to the position.
ELAN is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in its workforce, encouraging applications from all qualified individuals. We strongly encourage applications from members of the Government of Canada’s job equity seeking groups (i.e. persons with disabilities, visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples, and newcomers to Canada), and from all groups who experience marginalization. We encourage applicants to self-identify in their cover letter if they are comfortable doing so.
$15.50/ hour 35 hours per week
Length: July 4– August, 2022, 8 weeks
Possibility of extensive remote work
This position will provide valuable experience for candidates considering a career in arts and culture administration, and/or membership service, especially in the not-for-profit sector. With the day to day support of the Membership Services, the Membership Assistant will help ELAN staff optimize our membership database, and improve services and outreach to priority groups identified in ELAN’s Inclusion Plan. The Membership Assistant will have the following duties:
- Member communications
- Assess and optimize current data base and make recommendations for the future
- Spearhead annual member outreach for AGM
- Carryout member survey regarding ongoing needs
- Supporting ongoing marketing and membership outreach campaigns
- Research potential partners for member benefits
- Build partnerships for future joint community activates
- Support inclusion and accessibility: Assist ELAN staff and Inclusion Committee to develop outreach strategies as identified in ELAN’s Inclusion Plan.
- Attend staff meetings and assist with department reports
- Assist with the planning and implementation of member activities (workshops, networking events, AGM)
Please note: This position is funded by Canada Summer Jobs. As such, candidates must:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment**; and,
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
How to Apply:
DEADLINE: May 27th, 2022. Interviews will be held the week of June 6th, 2022
Please email the following materials to Deborah Forde (Director of Operations) at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- CV/Resume in Word or PDF format • Cover letter in Word or PDF format
o In your cover letter, please detail your interest in the position, and highlight your qualifications and future aspirations as they relate to the position.
ELAN is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in its workforce, encouraging applications from all qualified individuals. We strongly encourage applications from members of the Government of Canada’s job equity groups (i.e. persons with disabilities, visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples, and newcomers to Canada), and from all groups who experience marginalization. We encourage applicants to self-identify in their cover letter if they are comfortable doing so.
Voir notre page d’offres d’emploi pour plus de postes