Job Posting: Communications Assistant
Anticipated start date: July 18, 2022
Contract details: This is a short-term, full-time position of 30 weeks. This position is funded by Emploi Quebec under it Subvention Salarial program. You must have a letter of eligibility to be admissible
ELAN (English Language Arts Network) is a non-profit organization devoted to helping Quebec’s English-language artists connect with one another, with their francophone colleagues, and with audiences in Quebec, Canada, and internationally. Our members include artists and organizations representing many artistic disciplines and regions of Quebec. ELAN encourages an evolving Quebec identity that celebrates social, cultural, and artistic diversity.
The Communication Assistant will help ELAN staff maintain and support member services, communicate with its members, promote members’ work and ELAN projects through social media and digital communications, and implement improvements to its membership and communications infrastructure.
Under the supervision of the Communications Coordinator, as well the oversight of the Executive Director, the Communications Assistant will work with ELAN staff on day-to-day communications tasks, as well as collaborate on broader membership and communications projects involving research, writing, and outreach..
Selected candidate will work primarily remotely; will attend staff and other meetings held in our offices, as well as ELAN events in the community (e.g. AGM, Schmoozers, workshops).
• Assist in implementing specific communications campaigns in conjunction with special projects, outreach efforts, etc. as needed
• Assist in developing and implement a communication and promotional strategy for our new project, The Community Digital Arts Hub.
• Assist the ELAN team in implementing ongoing marketing and outreach campaigns, through digital communications and other channels, with a specific focus on areas outside of the Greater Montreal area.
• Assist staff in researching and implementing improvements to ELAN’s regional membership services
• Support ELAN staff in implementing measures as part of the Inclusion Plan
• Communicate with current, new, and renewing members in regions to explain and assist them in using the benefits and services of ELAN membership
• Work with the Communications Coordinator to assist in developing improvements to ELAN’s digital communications infrastructure ensure the maximum inclusion of regional members.
• Work with the ELAN team to identify regional needs as they relate to social media promotion and membership.
• Assist in monitoring and reporting on statistics using Google Analytics, Facebook Insights, and other tools, with a particular focus on regional activities.
• Outreach Assistant will be responsible for providing meaningful and specific reporting of ongoing work and will be supported though bi-weekly check-ins with the Communication and Outreach Coordinator.
• Outreach assistant will undergo a 3 month evaluation where in we will establish goals for the remaining period of internship.
• Other clerical and administrative tasks as required.
● Candidate should have a combination of education and minimal experience related to communications, or marketing.
● Strong spoken and written English, and a working knowledge of French
● Excellent interpersonal communication skills and teamwork skills
● Good organizational skills e.g. task prioritization, attention to detail in written work
● Resourceful, with creative problem-solving skills, and the capacity to work autonomously
● Familiarity with Microsoft Office suite (Excel, Word) and email
• Knowledge of Mailchimp, WordPress, and social media
• Experience developing digital content or blogging.
• Knowledge of or proven interest in arts and culture
The Communications Assistant be paid $15.50 per hour and will work 35 hours per week. Pre-approved overtime will be compensated with equal time off, according to an accounting of hours to be agreed upon by the Executive Director and corroborated by the employee’s timesheet. Four per cent of salary will be accumulated to be paid out at the end of the contract and the employer will pay statutory holidays. The employee is accorded has the equivalence of three paid personal days. Employee will be paid every two weeks (less deductions at source).
How to Apply:
Please email the following materials to Deborah Forde (Director of Operations) at email@example.com:
• CV/Resume in Word or PDF format
• Cover letter in Word or PDF format
• Letter of admissibility from Emploi Quebec
o In your cover letter, please detail your interest in the position, and highlight your qualifications as they relate to the position.
ELAN is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in its workforce, encouraging applications from all qualified individuals. We strongly encourage applications from members of the Government of Canada’s job equity groups (i.e. persons with disabilities, visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples, and newcomers to Canada), and from all groups who experience marginalization. We encourage applicants to self-identify in their cover letter if they are comfortable doing so.
See our Job Opportunities page for community listings.